I haven’t been doing much blogging recently but I have been using my hands. I bought this gorgeous Uruguayan yarn from Rio de la Plata via the online coop of which I am a member.
It is a bit darker than this but that may be my laptop monitor. I decided to use some of it to make a sweater and have been getting on with it like a house on fire. It is from the book Fitted Knits by Stephanie Japel and has a long ribbed section at the bottom to make it fit more snugly. This is where I was a couple of days ago:
I have now finished the ribbing and tried it on and decided to keep it sleeveless, so I have only got to finish the neckline and armholes. I think it will be a bit hot as a jumper with sleeves and the yarn is quite bulky so I’m afraid sleeves will make me look too much like a Michelin Man!
I have been experiencing a veritable boom in my knitting activity this past year. This I attribute to two things – the gorgeous, yummy yarns available via this coop, and the wonderful podcasts which I have uploaded on to my Ipod Shuffle. I have been working my way though the archives of Brenda Dayne’s Cast On - the music is just the thing to get a rhythm going! I have got as far as No. 10 so far. And Craft Cast with Alison Lee is another. I found a couple of interviews with past contestants on Project Runway the other day, which are next on my current Ipod itinerary to listen to. Alison has a great variety of interviewees – I have listened to an author, someone who prints her own books (and artwork) on a letterpress printer (that one was so inspiring I listened to it twice), a jewellery maker, etc etc.
I have also been working through the new book by Leslie Morgan, Claire Benn and Jane Dunnewold, called Finding your own Visual Language. They have lots of exercises to do – I’ve only taken a few photos of those so far, so when I’ve done a few more I’ll write a post about what I’ve done. And the house has been surrounded by scaffolding for the last couple of weeks and we have had builders patching up various holes and crevices where the roof has been leaking over the last few years, so hopefully my studio won’t have to be half covered with plastic next winter! So far we have had a skylight replaced with a Velux window, the west wall painted with waterproofing, various bricks pointed, the bath stones on our coping (I think that is the word) taken up and repaired or slates put underneath and a myriad other things which I’ve forgotten about. Nearly finished now, though! Hurray!