Here are some of the results of my first lot of screenprinting. The sessions have been a bit here and there because I’ve been busy with other things and have had to pop in and out of my studio a lot, doing preparation and then leaving and popping back later to do the actual printing. So at present I’ve only actually rinsed out the following green and blue fabric, the rest is waiting its turn! But DS1 goes off to university in Warwick on Saturday and so hopefully next week I’ll have a bit more time.
I printed this piece using a screen which had thin masking tape stuck to it in parallel lines. I heavily overprinted it in yellows, blues and greens and I like the effect. It might just turn into a reeds piece eventually. I’m definitely going to do more to these pieces of fabric.
This is a detail of a bit of it.
The sun was shining when I took the next piece so there’s a shadow across it! I used two thermofax screens. The first, with the smaller prints, was originally a rubber (eraser) which I carved into a grid design. I then used the stamp repeatedly on a piece of paper, scanned it into the computer and made a screen from it. Then I enlarged a section of the single stamped design (actually enlarged several), made another screen from my favourite, and the larger overprint is that one. Now it’s hanging up on my design wall while I decide what to do with it next.
This piece of fabric hasn’t been rinsed out yet and has been batching for about 5 days now just because I haven’t got round to it! Slow fabric… I ‘wrote’ a random design on a blank screen with thickened black dye and let it dry (this is breakdown printing) and then printed the screen with blue dye paint and clear print paste in a variety of values. It broke down to the dotty design and then broke down completely and I filled up the remaining white areas with the empty screen using blue dye paint to which I gradually added black. It’ll be interesting to see what it is like when it is rinsed.
This is another piece that hasn’t been rinsed yet. I was trying to make a design which would reflect the diagonals of the reeds in the last couple of months’ reeds photos but our laser printer had broken so I had to do it using charcoal and gocco pens. But for some reason the screen only partly imaged so the lines were very fine. Maybe I need to run it through at a lower speed. Anyway, I overprinted and overprinted this in a variety of shades of yellow and green and almost to brown so I’ll see how it turns out when it is rinsed. It looks as though it’ll make a great background design anyway. We’ve now bought a new laser printer so I will try again and photograph my drawings and print them out. The fabric is very stiff at the moment with the print paste as you can see from the photo but this will wash out.
I painted this reeds design (which is vaguely what the above screen was meant to look like but without the dots) using screen filler and screen drawing fluid and haven’t tried it yet but I thought the shadow cast when it was standing upright looked very effective. I may use it to overprint the above fabric or discharge it.