Archive | heating/burning

Fun with shrink plastic

I bought a pack of postcard sized shrink plastic from Hobbycraft a few years ago, thinking the kids might like to play with it.   But there was a distinct lack of interest so I appropriated it myself.  And with the advent of the Gocco, the postcard sized pieces were just the right size.  As you know, when I start printing anything that doesn’t run out of the way is a candidate and these were no exception.

Here is a piece with my crow stamped on it:

crow gocco stamped on shrink plastic 

For the last few months, however, I’ve just had these pieces of plastic sitting there gradually getting used up, and hadn’t got round to shrinking them.  So last week I remedied that.  It was a bit of a learning curve – I started off with the heat gun but this didn’t give much control and the pieces ended up a bit knobbly and occasionally bits stuck to each other, so I did the rest in the oven.    Here they are all together:

shrink plastic pieces

I had punched holes in some of them to begin with – one, two, or lots.  And I rounded off most of the corners.    I did try punching shapes with a punch but that particular one stuck in the punch and cracked when I tried to release it. 

rouen cathedral with angel - shrink plastic

I like these of Rouen Cathedral and stamped angel… in reverse!  I didn’t realise that the shrink plastic was clear and the side you looked at was the reverse of the side you stamp.  But it doesn’t matter. 

bird

I stamped this crow and then rubbed a yellow – yes, yellow – stamp pad around the outside.

houses

And this one is my ‘Newport houses’ print, none the worse for being in reverse!  I did this with the heat gun as you can probably tell.  On reflection, I quite like the irregularities of shrinking with a heat gun.  The finished pieces, by the way, are about 1″x1.5″ so they did shrink a LOT – having started out at 4″x6″.  I might put one or two for sale on Etsy – they might make good embellishments for journals or small quilts or mixed media pieces.    What do you think?

Trees finished!

The two trees are finally finished! I free machine stitched them, although my machine didn’t like the xpandaprint and I broke one needle. Maybe I should have stabilized them a bit better. Anyway, they’re done. Since I took these photos I trimmed the background fabric a bit at the top so that it blends more with the outline of the leaves.

tree from previous post with lots of leaves and stitching on it

another tree

There are a couple of blackbirds making a nest somewhere in the garden – I disturbed Mrs Blackbird with a clump of garden debris in her mouth and Mr Blackbird was hovering anxiously around. Plenty of debris in our garden – I don’t believe in neat and tidy gardens. Leave plenty for the wildlife. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Progress of trees!

This is what one of the trees looked like when I heated it. I ironed it first from the back, carefully ensuring it didn’t get too distorted and remained fairly flat as a whole, then I used a heatgun from the front to bring it up a bit more.

white tree emerging from green fabric

I then painted it with acrylic paint diluted with water and rubbed some of it off.

brown tree now!

I then cut it out and cut out something that looks vaguely like clumps of leaves. These have Bondaweb on the back but I haven’t ironed them down yet – I need to do several more first. And trim the fabric at the top so it looks more like part of the tree…

trees cut out from fabric with leaves

I also heated the rocks – now they are standing out more from the fabric and are more visible.

white rocks or will be when I've finished with them!

I painted one with the dilute paint mixture and wiped it off so you can see the glitter underneath. It brings out the texture in the xpandaprint. (The black shadow is the paint on the fabric but this will be cut off eventually).

painted rock

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...