Archive | Painting

Painted papers course

First of all, let me show you a photo of the reeds in February, just so you know I’m keeping up with my resolve!  (Not that one lot of photos a month is exactly onerous but still…)

February reeds

I love the colours in that one.  It was a glorious, crisp, sunny winter’s day last week.

A few weeks ago I signed up to do an online course, hoping to get my creative mojo going again, and it definitely worked!  I did LK Ludwig’s Printed Patterned Painted journal making class – Karen Stiehl Osborn was doing it and mentioned it in her newsletter. 

Here are a few of the painted papers I’ve made:

DSCN8740

DSCN8736

DSCN8759

DSCN8754

DSCN8758

Can you believe these were made with acrylic paint, a few old credit cards and some foam stamps or stencils?  My (mostly) home made stamps box is getting fuller:

DSCN8810

I have actually made two journals out of them so far, but don’t seem to have any photos yet!  Here is one in process of construction.

DSCN8803

Besides all this, I spent most of last week monoprinting over them with a gelatin plate – this time I used Rayna’s recipe and it is still going a week later!!! Last year it cracked up after a day or so, and Rayna’s recipe is definitely easier so I will be using that from now on…  I seem to have been so busy printing that I haven’t taken any photos yet so that’ll be the next post.    Last week it was half term and DH was away in India and I seemed to get a lot more done, for some reason!  I also finished the two large reeds hangings finally so pics of them will be forthcoming as well. 

Another reeds piece, finally!

I’ve been a bit in the doldrums regarding creativity recently, or at least the textile sort.  So I had to force myself to get down to printing the next in the reeds series and it was a slow start.  But now I think I’m getting into it!  

Here is the sample piece I produced for what I want to do.  I’m trying to capture a grey, glowering sky with the dirty-gold reeds against it.  This is just a practice piece to help me see how the lighter colours of the yellow-gold will show up against the grey.

sample for reeds fabric

It is going to consist of many layers.  Here are the first two, not looking too promising yet…

stamps and brushing

Next I started with one thermofax screen.

stamped, brushed and screened! 

And then another….

stamped, brushed and screened twice!

At least another 5 layers to go… This is a slow process, as I have to wait for each layer to dry before I add the next.  I’m using fabric paints.  But it fits in with my routine at the moment: lots of cooking food for teenagers and countless household tasks, packaging up Gocco machines (only three left now, the pile is going down!), and my least favourite, juggling with figures for the tax return.  Not so many visits to quilt shows or textile museums, though I did manage my first ever visit to Ikea now that DS1 has passed his driving test! And lots of family tree research, and I’m plotting a visit to the National Archives in London….

So, to conclude this post, here is my design board at the moment:

design board

Acrylic paint on fabric – some experiments

While I was writing my article for Quiltwow on using acrylic paint on fabric, I decided to do a few tests to see which sorts of acrylic paint worked best and also to see how much wash out there was if I used them on poly cotton.

I used Golden thick bodied acrylic, Golden fluid acrylics and some Daler Rowney FW acrylic inks that I had.  I painted each one on some thick cotton duck (canvas), some fairly coarse cotton fabric and some not all that thick polycotton.   I painted two of each and washed one of the pair to see how much washout there was.

Here are the results.  The ones on the left of each photo are the washed versions and the ones on the right, the unwashed.

Heavy acrylic paint on the canvas:

acrylic paint on fabric experiment

Heavy acrylic paint on the cotton fabric:

heavy acrylic paint on cotton

Heavy acrylic on polycotton:

acrylic ink on poly cotton

Acrylic ink on canvas:

acrylic ink on canvas

Acrylic ink on cotton:

acrylic ink on cotton

Acrylic ink on poly cotton:

acrylic ink on poly cotton

Fluid acrylic on canvas:

fluid acrylic on canvas

Fluid acrylic on cotton:

fluid acrylic on cotton

And finally, fluid acrylic on poly cotton:

fluid acrylic on poly cotton

This experiment wasn’t at all scientific but it was interesting to me, especially to find that acrylics seem to be fine to use on poly cotton (next time I’ll have a go with 100% polyester) and the fluid acrylics are best of all for painting on fabric, predictably because they contain less binder and more pigment. 

The little sample book, by the way, is another that I made with the Bind it All.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...