Archive | printing

Black fabric discharged

Here are a few pics of the black fabric I discharged.

black fabric discharged with screenprinting

When I did the soy wax resist printing in the autumn, I used some to make an interfacing stencil from the instructions in Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan’s book.  For this one, I just dribbed the soy wax on from a tjanting tool.  I didn’t get round to doing any printing with dyes from them so I used this one with the discharge paste.  I really like the effect.   Not sure where this fabric is going next (what’s new?) but it makes some great marks, doesn’t it?

For the next two, I had taken photos, the first of the sun shining on the river and the new bridge in Newport, and I decided to try transferring what was in my mind on to the fabric.  I made a rough sketch and then just played about with masking tape and a few stencils and this was the result:

discharged fabric - view of Newport river

The other photo was of street lamps shining on a night time street, so I did the same sort of thing.  This is a detail of it:

night time scene

This is the whole thing; not sure where it’s going next…

night time scene using black fabric and discharge paste

Discharging fabric

Before I forget, I now have a newsletter sign up form on the top of the sidebar – I plan to send out newsletters about every 3 months so if you would like to receive one with details of what I’m up to, do subscribe! I promise not to bombard you with emails and I have set it up so it is easy for you to unsubscribe again if you decide you don’t want to get them any more.  This is different from subscribing to my blog feed and I’ll try and make the content new and different too!

Last week I spent several hours discharging some of the fabric that I printed in the autumn as well as some ugly fabric which was languishing on my shelves from previous screenprinting attempts.  I also discharged some black fabric.  I used formosol with print paste.   The smell is still hanging around my studio, even though I did the actual discharging outside wearing a respirator.

Here are a couple of them, showing the progression of colour on and off them.  (I just spent a good while searching for photos of the original fabric on Picasa too – at least this blog can now serve as documentation of their development!).

This  fabric started off as an unprepossessing dyed/printed piece from 2006. This was part of it originally:

 ugly fabric

It sat on my shelves because I didn’t know what on earth to do with it.  So I painted it red this autumn.

ugly red fabric

I wasn’t sure I liked it any more like this.  So I screened it with discharge paste and a thermofax screen I made from a home made rubber stamp design and now I like it a lot better!

red fabric discharged

You can see a little peek of the second fabric on that photo above, which has also been overprinted with the same screen.

Here is how it started:

ugly screenprinted fabric 

This fabric was made from a breakdown printing screen and was one of the pieces made when the screen was breaking down quite a lot and much of the original detail had been lost.  This page shows the original screenprinting session results.

DSCN1896

I wanted to unify it all and didn’t particularly like the original fabric so I overprinted it with the ‘squares’ screen in black.  Here it is on my table just after being printed.

printed and discharged fabric

As well as printing with black, I decided to give it some depth by discharging areas using the same screen.  So here it is now – I think it looks much better.  Not sure where both of these pieces are going next but I hope it doesn’t take another 5 years to decide!!

Latest Screenprinting

Here are some more of the fabrics I’ve been adding colour to.  Haven’t taken any out yet, that’s waiting for a nice dry day for good ventilation and a bit of spare time to do it!

screenprinted fabric

I love this screen.  Not sure if this is going to be horizontal or vertical yet.  I printed it a very pale grey first and this is the second layer.

screenprinting

This is the same screen using different colours. 

green screenprinted fabric 

This fabric is the one I printed with the very dense diagonal lines in green (the more yellowy green sections).  I used soy wax as a resist and screened using a thermofax screen over the rest in turquoise. 

screenprinted and soy wax resist

This is the reverse, which is quite good too!

blue screenprinted fabric overprinted

This is the blue fabric I started and posted a few weeks ago.  Again I used soy wax as a resist to keep the blue and screened using the larger screen of the same design in a browny-orange colour. 

DSCN1885 

For the top part of this one I ran the linen yarn (from the previous post) between lines of pins across the fabric and then screened with a blank screen (I got this from Leslie Morgan and Claire Benn’s book, Screenprinting).  I’m referring to it a lot, as well as their Thermofax Printing book.  The two side pieces were prints taken from the middle one as it was a bit gloopy. 

screenprinted fabric

I screened this one with a blank screen on to crumpled fabric, uncrumpled it and screened some more.  That was another from the Screenprinting book.

More later!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...