Archive | Studio

African fabric and nappy liners!

There are still more fabric bundles waiting to be snapped up! And here are a few extras for the next 2 or 3 people to buy them…

I found a load of nappy liners which I bought to do cool melting and burning stuff… you can stitch into them and colour them and heat them and they distress nicely.

I’ve also got lots of African dutch wax prints fabrics – if you buy a fabric bundle I’ll put some of them in – they are good size pieces (half a yard, a yard etc…).

My studio is looking very different now – I’ve moved the tables round and my design wall and I can get around a lot more in there! I don’t feel quite so hemmed in. I was hoping that it might be possible to put a kitchen type sink in there but it looks like that is impractical so I’ll just have to keep running to the bathroom if I want to rinse things out:(

Pics soon… and I haven’t forgotten the report on my week at C2C!

Collages continued

I layered the collages a bit more yesterday – I worked fairly quickly and improvisationally because I was sitting there umming and ahhing and not actually glueing anything down so I decided just to get on with it and then see what I thought of them!

Here’s the blue one – I wanted to do something with leaves as I am so drawn to them at the moment.

collage with leaves

I may add more or do something else to this one.  Not sure yet.

This is the one with the brown background.  I like this better in the photo than I did yesterday looking at the original!

brown collage

This is as far as I have got with the green one but it isn’t finished yet…

green and yellow collage

I also made another background.  This uses some of the mulberry paper as well.

another collage

In the latest studio reorganisation I turned my table 90 degrees and put all the paints and related stuff into an old vegetable rack.   I like this.

cluttered table and paint rack

You can see how much clutter there is on the ‘collage table’ at the moment!  Plenty of stuff to keep me going for a while!

And of course moving the paints left some shelves free for my ‘inspiration’ files and notebooks…

shelves in studio

Wall tidy

I thought I’d put a picture of the only thing I’ve sewn in the last few weeks (apart from turning up the hems on umpteen pairs of trousers and mending DS2’s coat).

It is another sample for the ladies of the sewing studio in Zambia for Health Help International.  Ron is there now and took it with him.  It is one of those wall tidies which you can hang on the wall and use to store small items in pockets. 

wall tidy made from Dutch wax prints with elephant motif

I have been busy this week, tidying and organising my studio yet again (well, I prefer to think of it as continuing the tidying rather than reorganising everything Yet Again….).   Instead of organising my cotton fabrics by colour, I decided to do it by value.  Reading Lisa Call’s blog inspired me.    I ironed them all and folded them into approximately the same size.  Sorting them was relatively easy after that.    Looking at them, I have come to the conclusion that I have far too many in medium values and not enough at either end.  

After that I was energised (inspired, no doubt, by all the fabrics I had forgotten I had!) into sorting all the other sorts of fabrics, which previously I had organised by colour, into each type of fabric… the rusted fabrics have a container to themselves.  I enjoyed stroking the silks and rediscovering the shiny fabrics, the velvets, the scrims, the sheers….  now I just need to use them in something and not just return them to the shelves….

Photos to follow….

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...