Train ticket art – yes, it’s still going!

I’m still creating art out of my box of old train tickets. I got a gelli plate for Christmas (more on that in a subsequent post) so I’ve been using it to create backgrounds on the tickets – the gesso with which I prepared them picks up the acrylic paint really well.

A mosaic of some of my train ticket art

A mosaic of some of my train ticket art

 

Here is a mosaic of some of the tickets – the exhibition at the Riverfront arts centre in Newport is approaching.  The chairman of our group emailed us to ask for images of artwork for the centre to use on their website and I’m thrilled to say that they used one of mine.  It will be on from 8th to 24th April this year. 

I experimented with various ways of joining them together for the exhibit –

  • paperclips (bent the tickets too much)
  • wire (cut into the tickets and very fiddly)
  • stringing fishing wire or cord through (fiddly and didn’t hang very well)
  • split pins through holes – I’ve got some pretty decorative ones (eg with dragonflies on the ends) and this was tempting but the tickets had to be overlapped too much.

In the end I decided to go with good old faithful stitching, just a few stitches at the bottom and top of the tickets did the trick and meant I won’t have to make holes into all the tickets.  A bit like string piecing…

view of tickets attached with stitching

This is now I’m attaching them together but hopefully with a less conspicuous colour thread!

 

detail of stitching on train ticket art

It doesn’t have to be finished off, I want it to come apart pretty quickly at the end…

Here are some more tickets, one or two mostly finished, some with just a background layer so far.  I’ll have to stop creating them soon and stitch them together – I’m giving myself all of March to do that.  I want to try and arrange them in groups of some sort, not just randomly, but time will tell how successful that is.

A recent selection of painted and printed train ticket art.

A recent selection of painted and printed train ticket art.

If you’re in the South Wales area in April, do drop into our exhibition.  I will keep you informed of progress!

0

A few hearts for Valentine’s day

A few ghost hearts on my printing table from printing off the edge of something

A few ghost hearts on my printing table from printing off the edge of something

 

As it’s Valentine’s Day and as I’ve been playing with a homemade printing block with hearts on it, here are a few seasonal pics.

Some little hearts on a repurposed train ticket.

Some little hearts on a repurposed train ticket.

lace and hearts on trainticketart

Lace and hearts on this train ticket art

Red rose

Red rose

And finally, here’s a red rose.  I actually got it from DH on my birthday in December and took a number of photos of the flowers for the purposes of pattern design but since I’m unlikely to get any more until my next birthday, I thought I’d put one up on my blog today! Enjoy!

0

Spoonflower top!

In September 2013, I won a Spoonflower giveaway: a Wiksten pattern for a top and 3 yards of Spoonflower fabric printed in the design of my choice. Exciting! At that point, I hadn’t had much experience with Spoonflower or putting designs into repeat but I knew I wanted to use my own design on the fabric so it took me a while to take advantage of my win and actually order the fabric. I wanted to get it right so before I ordered the actual yardage I got a few swatches made.

A row of Spoonflower swatches

A row of swatches of my fabric designs – it works out cheaper to put them in collections and order several at once.

The swatches are printed on silky faille which is a 100% polyester fabric and is really drapy and prints the colours very faithfully to the image. I finally decided which designs I wanted to order so I got a yard of the fabric below:

The fabric printed by Spoonflower that I used for my top - I called it 'Fairy Garden'.

The fabric printed by Spoonflower that I used for my top – I called it ‘Fairy Garden’.

and two yards of this one, which was the one I originally thought I would use for the top:

Spoonflower fabric called Watercolour Kaleidoscope

This fabric was based on a painting made wet on wet using inks – I called it Watercolour kaleidoscope.

I received the fabrics last May and since then have been looking at them, stroking them and being afraid to cut into them!! I finally came to the conclusion that Watercolour Kaleidoscope would be a better design for large drapes or cushions and that I would make the top out of Fairy Garden. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to fit the pattern pieces on to one yard of fabric but I think it was the right decision.

The completed top.

The completed top – one of our cats, Ziby, decided he wanted to get in on the act!

Here it is hanging over my printing table.

Close up of neckline

A close up of the neckline

I experimented with which binding to use – the fabric is quite slippery and needed quite a bit of care to stitch properly.  I rejected silk or polyester fabric for the binding and in the end used this red lawn fabric which is made of very fine cotton – this was a lot easier to control than the polyester.  I ended up putting it round the hem as well as the necklines and armholes because it was easier than trying to fold over the curved fabric twice – and it meant that I could make the top that much longer.

The red binding pinned on to the neckline ready to be stitched.

The red binding pinned on to the neckline ready to be stitched.

Another view of the top.

Another view of the top.

It fits really well and I’m pleased with how it looks.  Well worth the wait!  By the way, if you fancy buying some of either of these fabrics, they (and others) are available in my Spoonflower shop.  And now I have started filling it, I intend to continue adding to it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
3