Tag Archives | discharging

Final discharge post!

This is the fabric I printed before I discharged it:

red purple fabric

I discharged it with the same screen and I like the results, especially the blue coming out – that must have been some turquoise dye that didn’t discharge.

same fabric discharged 

And a detail:


The first layer of the next two fabrics is on this page of my blog and the second layer is here.  I decided that I preferred this green fabric horizontally as I could see sort of leafy/flowery shapes.  So I added a lot of circles and a few swirls here and there and this is the result:

green screen printed fabric

A detail:

detail of green printed fabric

The fabric in the photo below looked much better when I had activated the discharge paste but before I rinsed it.  For some reason, the discharged orange areas just looked like a paler gold but when I rinsed it, they turned a sort of greeny colour.  Maybe this was from the blue underneath that wasn’t showing when the thick discharge paste was on top of it.  Anyway, it’s just an example of the unpredictability of this process!  Or my lack of experience in it…  I quite like the results anyway, even though they aren’t as striking as I thought they would be.  It opens up some lighter areas on to the fabric.

blue and orange fabric

And a detail.  I mostly printed discharge paste with the same screens as I used for the original layers but I also scraped some through a circular stencil in places.

detail of blue orange fabric

Continue Reading

Black fabric discharged

Here are a few pics of the black fabric I discharged.

black fabric discharged with screenprinting

When I did the soy wax resist printing in the autumn, I used some to make an interfacing stencil from the instructions in Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan’s book.  For this one, I just dribbed the soy wax on from a tjanting tool.  I didn’t get round to doing any printing with dyes from them so I used this one with the discharge paste.  I really like the effect.   Not sure where this fabric is going next (what’s new?) but it makes some great marks, doesn’t it?

For the next two, I had taken photos, the first of the sun shining on the river and the new bridge in Newport, and I decided to try transferring what was in my mind on to the fabric.  I made a rough sketch and then just played about with masking tape and a few stencils and this was the result:

discharged fabric - view of Newport river

The other photo was of street lamps shining on a night time street, so I did the same sort of thing.  This is a detail of it:

night time scene

This is the whole thing; not sure where it’s going next…

night time scene using black fabric and discharge paste

Continue Reading

Discharging fabric

Before I forget, I now have a newsletter sign up form on the top of the sidebar – I plan to send out newsletters about every 3 months so if you would like to receive one with details of what I’m up to, do subscribe! I promise not to bombard you with emails and I have set it up so it is easy for you to unsubscribe again if you decide you don’t want to get them any more.  This is different from subscribing to my blog feed and I’ll try and make the content new and different too!

Last week I spent several hours discharging some of the fabric that I printed in the autumn as well as some ugly fabric which was languishing on my shelves from previous screenprinting attempts.  I also discharged some black fabric.  I used formosol with print paste.   The smell is still hanging around my studio, even though I did the actual discharging outside wearing a respirator.

Here are a couple of them, showing the progression of colour on and off them.  (I just spent a good while searching for photos of the original fabric on Picasa too – at least this blog can now serve as documentation of their development!).

This  fabric started off as an unprepossessing dyed/printed piece from 2006. This was part of it originally:

 ugly fabric

It sat on my shelves because I didn’t know what on earth to do with it.  So I painted it red this autumn.

ugly red fabric

I wasn’t sure I liked it any more like this.  So I screened it with discharge paste and a thermofax screen I made from a home made rubber stamp design and now I like it a lot better!

red fabric discharged

You can see a little peek of the second fabric on that photo above, which has also been overprinted with the same screen.

Here is how it started:

ugly screenprinted fabric 

This fabric was made from a breakdown printing screen and was one of the pieces made when the screen was breaking down quite a lot and much of the original detail had been lost.  This page shows the original screenprinting session results.


I wanted to unify it all and didn’t particularly like the original fabric so I overprinted it with the ‘squares’ screen in black.  Here it is on my table just after being printed.

printed and discharged fabric

As well as printing with black, I decided to give it some depth by discharging areas using the same screen.  So here it is now – I think it looks much better.  Not sure where both of these pieces are going next but I hope it doesn’t take another 5 years to decide!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Continue Reading