Tag Archives | distortion

Trees finished!

The two trees are finally finished! I free machine stitched them, although my machine didn’t like the xpandaprint and I broke one needle. Maybe I should have stabilized them a bit better. Anyway, they’re done. Since I took these photos I trimmed the background fabric a bit at the top so that it blends more with the outline of the leaves.

tree from previous post with lots of leaves and stitching on it

another tree

There are a couple of blackbirds making a nest somewhere in the garden – I disturbed Mrs Blackbird with a clump of garden debris in her mouth and Mr Blackbird was hovering anxiously around. Plenty of debris in our garden – I don’t believe in neat and tidy gardens. Leave plenty for the wildlife. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

Progress of trees!

This is what one of the trees looked like when I heated it. I ironed it first from the back, carefully ensuring it didn’t get too distorted and remained fairly flat as a whole, then I used a heatgun from the front to bring it up a bit more.

white tree emerging from green fabric

I then painted it with acrylic paint diluted with water and rubbed some of it off.

brown tree now!

I then cut it out and cut out something that looks vaguely like clumps of leaves. These have Bondaweb on the back but I haven’t ironed them down yet – I need to do several more first. And trim the fabric at the top so it looks more like part of the tree…

trees cut out from fabric with leaves

I also heated the rocks – now they are standing out more from the fabric and are more visible.

white rocks or will be when I've finished with them!

I painted one with the dilute paint mixture and wiped it off so you can see the glitter underneath. It brings out the texture in the xpandaprint. (The black shadow is the paint on the fabric but this will be cut off eventually).

painted rock

Xpandaprint play!

Well, I was going to get on with couching threads around my collage and the blue one is sitting by my sewing machine with a bundle of matching threads as I type. But on Sunday someone at church asked me to make a tree for an Easter collage – they started doing one with the kids at their youth group but didn’t realise they weren’t meeting this week so they need to make it themselves. So collages and knitting duly abandoned, I dug out my notes for the Elements in Fabric course I did at Quilt University last year. And I dug out my Xpandaprint to add texture to the trunk and branches and painted a tree on a piece of background fabric. Here it is, waiting to be expanded:

white tree on greeny reddy background fabric

The Xpandaprint doesn’t keep for ever and it was getting a bit gungy so of course I had to finish the jar – no point in letting it hang around for a few more months and go to waste! Of course not. So I painted some rocks in case I ever start the earth piece (I completed the water, air and fire ones but ran out of steam before I got to earth). Here they are, sprinkled with fine glitter and Jacquard mica powder. It’s a bit hard to see the Xpandaprint because they are on white fabric.

small pieces of fabric with invisible xpandaprint and sprinkles of glitter and colour

To link it up to the Symbols course I thought I’d print a few with a couple of the blocks I made. Here is one of them, on orange acrylic felt (I thought I could do a bit of melting and distorting later). It prints really well on to felt.

white xpandaprint printed on orange felt

Here it is expanded. I have left the other things to dry because the instructions say to (to avoid puffing them up too much, I think) but I expanded this one straight away.

puffed up xpandaprint on orange felt.

Next step is to heat the tree and rocks to expand them, paint them and add highlights with Markals.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...