The two trees are finally finished! I free machine stitched them, although my machine didn’t like the xpandaprint and I broke one needle. Maybe I should have stabilized them a bit better. Anyway, they’re done. Since I took these photos I trimmed the background fabric a bit at the top so that it blends more with the outline of the leaves.
There are a couple of blackbirds making a nest somewhere in the garden – I disturbed Mrs Blackbird with a clump of garden debris in her mouth and Mr Blackbird was hovering anxiously around. Plenty of debris in our garden – I don’t believe in neat and tidy gardens. Leave plenty for the wildlife. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
This is what one of the trees looked like when I heated it. I ironed it first from the back, carefully ensuring it didn’t get too distorted and remained fairly flat as a whole, then I used a heatgun from the front to bring it up a bit more.
I then painted it with acrylic paint diluted with water and rubbed some of it off.
I then cut it out and cut out something that looks vaguely like clumps of leaves. These have Bondaweb on the back but I haven’t ironed them down yet – I need to do several more first. And trim the fabric at the top so it looks more like part of the tree…
I also heated the rocks – now they are standing out more from the fabric and are more visible.
I painted one with the dilute paint mixture and wiped it off so you can see the glitter underneath. It brings out the texture in the xpandaprint. (The black shadow is the paint on the fabric but this will be cut off eventually).
Well, I was going to get on with couching threads around my collage and the blue one is sitting by my sewing machine with a bundle of matching threads as I type. But on Sunday someone at church asked me to make a tree for an Easter collage – they started doing one with the kids at their youth group but didn’t realise they weren’t meeting this week so they need to make it themselves. So collages and knitting duly abandoned, I dug out my notes for the Elements in Fabric course I did at Quilt University last year. And I dug out my Xpandaprint to add texture to the trunk and branches and painted a tree on a piece of background fabric. Here it is, waiting to be expanded:
The Xpandaprint doesn’t keep for ever and it was getting a bit gungy so of course I had to finish the jar – no point in letting it hang around for a few more months and go to waste! Of course not. So I painted some rocks in case I ever start the earth piece (I completed the water, air and fire ones but ran out of steam before I got to earth). Here they are, sprinkled with fine glitter and Jacquard mica powder. It’s a bit hard to see the Xpandaprint because they are on white fabric.
To link it up to the Symbols course I thought I’d print a few with a couple of the blocks I made. Here is one of them, on orange acrylic felt (I thought I could do a bit of melting and distorting later). It prints really well on to felt.
Here it is expanded. I have left the other things to dry because the instructions say to (to avoid puffing them up too much, I think) but I expanded this one straight away.
Next step is to heat the tree and rocks to expand them, paint them and add highlights with Markals.
This lace has got painted Bondaweb fused to it, and foil added to reveal the texture of the lace.
Here are a couple of the photos of painted Bondaweb before I adhered them to the various objects. It goes into an interesting texture when it is wet and dries like that. I used Jacquard textile paints mainly. Some Lumiere too.
Here is another element in the collage. I painted brown paper and scrumpled it up after it was dry. Then I fused it on to calico and fused painted Bondaweb on top. Here are a few of them:
I may have been quiet this week but I have been working! Today I was painting a silk scarf as a birthday present for a friend who recently lost her husband – I’ll post a photo of it tomorrow after I’ve given it to her. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t read this, but I’d better not risk it!
I’ve also been doing lots of painting Bondaweb, ironing it to fabric and other stuff, in preparation for making a lot of colourful collaged postcards. I love doing this – such bright colours and sparkly angelina and melting stuff – a bit of pyromania always gets me going! (I’m really behind on the symbols course – lesson 6 was posted on Tuesday and I haven’t begun lesson 4 yet!).
There are several elements to this collaging postcards bit. I adapted these from an embroidery course I did a year ago. These are chiffon scarves with painted Bondaweb fused to them, angelina and another layer of chiffon scarf on top of that – the whole lot is then ironed underneath baking parchment to fuse it all together.
I will be cutting these up and adding them to other collage elements and fusing them all to a background fabric and then making postcards from them. Next element coming up tomorrow!