Here are the remaining pieces of fabric created by my recent mark making session:
I can’t quite remember what I did for this but I think I squeezed thin red dye solution from a squeezy bottle and then sprayed the yellow thin dye solution before the red had chance to dry.
For this I squeezed lines of thick black dye paint on to white fabric and then sprayed yellow and red dye solution over it while it was still wet so it blended a bit around the edges of the black but not quite as much as the previous fabric.
This is another of my black scraped fabric. I think it looks like rock formations.
The rest of the fabric on this page was dyed a couple of months ago. In January we had the only cold spell of the winter and for a couple of nights, the temperatures went down to about minus 10. There are several buckets sitting on our patio and they had filled with water from the copious rain we had had, and these had forced nice thick ice circles! I decided to take these upstairs to my studio and play around with them and a load of dye. Well, I did come to regret it – despite putting plenty of plastic in and around the area the ice melted faster than I expected and I had various coloured leaks to deal with… But some of the effects were definitely worth it such as the one above. I did end up dyeing a lot more fabric than expected, mainly to mop up the drips, and these were in a good varied value range. Below is one of them – on my last visit to the Knitting and Stitching Show I bought some mixed white Egyptian cotton fabric bundles from Empress Mills, mostly in long thin strips (some even thinner than this one) so most of these came in handy.
A couple more detail shots of the ice effects:
Hope you enjoy the varied spectrum of colours on this post!!
That was the latest challenge theme for the International Quilt Challenge and you can see my interpretation of it here.
I’m sorry I’ve been a bit absent recently but I have been doing a lot, honest! I think that I’m going through a natural, if long, quiet spell where I’m reading a lot and not saying much, but I’m sure that will change eventually! I’ve been doing a lot of dyeing and printing and have taken a pile of photos today. Here is one to whet your appetite…
Spring is beginning to emerge here in Wales.
The supermarket online delivery came this morning so the fruitbowl is looking well stocked, and in the fridge is enough food to warm the cockles of 3 teenage boys’ hearts.
And today is DS3’s birthday… when they start having birthdays I know spring is here. All three of them were born this time of year. His cake arrived too…
Outside is looking a bit dead still but today the sun is shining.
Yesterday I decided my clothes needed a new lease of life so I used some washing machine dye that I bought in the Woolies closing down sale – those trousers on the right used to be a yukky light sort of khaki colour – I like them much better in a terracotta brown. And the teal jumper in the middle used to be quite a nice green … till I forgot to wear an apron and it got various paint splashes on it! And the other two jumpers are a lot nicer now too. I shall look forward to wearing them.
Cobweb has decided it’s spring too and that it was warm enough in the sun to curl up in the garden. Let’s see how long it lasts, eh?
Isn’t this rusted Green Man amazing?
We did dyeing with Helen and I obviously have a green theme going on looking at this piece of Evolon – I used the transfer painted papers that I decorated several months ago….
And of course I did some mark making doodles with the parallel pens:
While we were there, there was another workshop where they were making chairs – honestly! A whole dining chair in a week! Steaming the wood to make it curved and everything … One of the ladies on the course brought us this gorgeous strip of planed wood at the end of the week – isn’t it gorgeous?
My main achievement during the week, however, is a blue crocheted scarf and I can’t believe I haven’t actually taken a photo of it yet so it’ll have to wait for the next post… I hadn’t crocheted since I was a teenager so I was glad to see the skill hadn’t left me. I used a silk/cashmere yarn for it and it feels yummy! Since getting back, I haven’t even touched it and I only need to do about another 12 inches so I must pick it up again…
In December, Jane Dunnewold of Art Cloth Studios issued a challenge to 12 brave and adventurous art cloth makers. This was the brief, in Jane’s words:
In December of 2007, I issued an invitation to surface designers through the Complex Cloth Internet list. Anyone who was interested in working on a dyed two yard length of silk habotai was to write to me and indicate interest. I put all the names in a hat, and drew out twelve participants’ names. I wanted it to be a democratic event.
I spent a happy evening reading the wonderful blog The Art Cloth Challenge. Go and have a look – it’s really worth it! And amazing to see what different cloth resulted from 12 people’s vision of the same piece of cloth and to read their journals about how they altered it.