Tag Archives | dyes

Knitting and onion skins

Here is the onion skin-dyed yarn drying on the line.  Yummy colour, isn’t it?

yellowy gold yarn dyed with onion skins

Here it is dried and ready to use:

onion skin dyed yarn

The colour is actually closer to the top picture.

And here is some more yarn being brought to a simmer – this has a mishmash of St Johns wort, the remains of the onion skin dyebath and a couple of nettle teabags which I chucked in for good measure!  Talk about unscientific… The yarn has been mordanted with copper.

the next dyebath

It actually turned out a mid brown colour and is drying upstairs as I type.  Photo later.

Here is the half knitted to-be-felted bag.  I have still got about 30 rows to do and the yarn is disappearing at an alarming rate!

knitted bag in greens and pinks

You will notice I have tweaked the blog colour a bit and made a few changes and additions to the sidebar.  If you find it isn’t behaving itself for you, do let me know.

Rust dyed fabrics

Here are several photos of the rust dyed fabric I did in the roasting tin which I had left on the floor in my studio to catch the drips from the leaking ceiling.

This is the main piece – a large piece of silk dupion which I tried unsuccessfully to rust round a washing line pole last year (probably because it promptly went cold and froze!).

rust dyed fabric

This is the top of it.

rest of rust dyed fabric

And the bottom of it.

detail of rust dyed fabric

This is a small detail of the above piece.  This impression was made by one of the sweetcorn tins which DS1 had thrown out of his bedroom window!  A very effective print.

rust dyed silk

And another detail. 

rust dyed silk shirt  

This is an old silk shirt.

detail of silk shirt rust dyed

A detail of the sleeve portion. 

rust dyed fabric

I don’t know what sort of fabric this is – it is a sort of knitted fabric – maybe rayon?  Or silk even…  That piece in the middle which is a slightly different shade is actually part of the rusting – not a different bit sewn on as it looks.

dark rust dyed fabric 

This piece, which is silk crepe de chine, went very grey-brown with rust-brown highlights.  It is so fine you can see the outline of the chair through it where the sun is shining!

Yummy Yarn!

At last – we have photos!

This was dyed with blackberry leaves and a copper mordant.

yarn dyed with blackberry leaves

This one was mordanted with alum and was dyed in the exhaust of the blackberry leaf dyebath.

yarn dyed with blackberry leaves and mordanted with alum

This was dyed with an unknown hanging plant which I pulled up from the garden last summer and has been soaking all winter outside in water.

cream coloured yarn

It didn’t get much colour, but it is a nice creamy shade.  There is definite colour when I put it next to the original.  It also was mordanted with alum. 

This next one had a bit of a chequered life because I mordanted it with alum and then dyed it in a forsythia dyebath which was almost completely useless.  I also added a pinch of iron for the last 15 minutes, but that didn’t improve it.  So I chucked some madder roots which I had been soaking into a sort of large herb sphere that I have (actually I think it is for steaming vegetables but it looks more like those things you can buy for infusing herb tea except bigger.   Except that some of the bits of madder root were too small and came out of the holes on to the yarn and the next day I got the whole lot out, put the madder into a muslin bag, rinsed the yarn, which now had patches of red on it but not entirely, and put it back into the madder bath.  You’re not supposed to heat the madder to more than about 50C so I just heated it up and then left it overnight.  I added another skein of yarn to get the exhaust. 

red yarn

And here is the skein that was added later:

pink yarn 

Here they all are together:

colourful yarn  

I’ve still got some yarn mordanted with copper and some more which is unmordanted yet so watch this space!  I’ve sent off for an indigo kit so I’m going to try that next…

This is the Kool Aid dyed yarn:

bluey greeny yarn

I put it in a microwave dish and poured the colours on as if I was space dyeing then heated it. 

For this next one I did the same but they seem to have more or less all gone into one or two shades…

pink yarn

And I overdyed some felt which I made about a year ago:

hand made felt

It was mostly to tone down the brilliant white colour of the back:

reverse of above

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...