Here are the remaining pieces of fabric created by my recent mark making session:
I can’t quite remember what I did for this but I think I squeezed thin red dye solution from a squeezy bottle and then sprayed the yellow thin dye solution before the red had chance to dry.
For this I squeezed lines of thick black dye paint on to white fabric and then sprayed yellow and red dye solution over it while it was still wet so it blended a bit around the edges of the black but not quite as much as the previous fabric.
This is another of my black scraped fabric. I think it looks like rock formations.
The rest of the fabric on this page was dyed a couple of months ago. In January we had the only cold spell of the winter and for a couple of nights, the temperatures went down to about minus 10. There are several buckets sitting on our patio and they had filled with water from the copious rain we had had, and these had forced nice thick ice circles! I decided to take these upstairs to my studio and play around with them and a load of dye. Well, I did come to regret it – despite putting plenty of plastic in and around the area the ice melted faster than I expected and I had various coloured leaks to deal with… But some of the effects were definitely worth it such as the one above. I did end up dyeing a lot more fabric than expected, mainly to mop up the drips, and these were in a good varied value range. Below is one of them – on my last visit to the Knitting and Stitching Show I bought some mixed white Egyptian cotton fabric bundles from Empress Mills, mostly in long thin strips (some even thinner than this one) so most of these came in handy.
A couple more detail shots of the ice effects:
Hope you enjoy the varied spectrum of colours on this post!!