This fabric was dry painted – using a brush that had been cut irregularly to produce a more random edge with most of the dye shaken off, it was brushed across the fabric repeatedly, using different colours and shades. I like the texture produced when it picked up various folds and wrinkles in the fabric. The first photo is a detailed shot of the second.
I can see this fabric being useful for landscape backgrounds and suchlike.
This very interesting piece of cloth is actually the fabric I used to wipe the dye from the plastic used for one of my experiments! I think the black was thickened dye paint and the greeny colour unthickened but it turned out quite dramatic!
I meant to blog about this little book I made with my Bind it All just before Christmas. I even found a title for it in the Drafts folder of Windows Live Writer! I had a little scrap of the wire spiral binding to use up and just felt like playing, because I haven’t used it much since I bought it and I think a lot of this is because I have to look up the instructions every time I want to make one and it just takes too much time…. Unfortunately I couldn’t work out how to just punch the middle with three holes so it has a couple of empty holes top and bottom. I suppose I could use these to advantage by threading some decorative yarn or beads through them… The book is about 3 inches square.
The covers are made using painted matboard which has been textured with tissue paper. I made this when I was working through Mary Todd Beam’s book, Celebrate your creative self.
I filled it with random decorated pages – this is some painted Japanese newspaper that the Gocco machines are packed with and, I think, some patterned paper randomly stencilled with some sequin waste.
This page has been Gocco printed with my medieval woodcut screen.
This one has an angel stamp and a sort of partial repeated print of the Newport streets gocco screen. An abstract, arty and definitely unrepeatable print!
A few months ago I bought some natural ochres from Clearwell Caves, some old coppermines in the Forest of Dean. I also had some natural dye extracts, so I decided to do some painting with them, using soy milk as a binder. I had fun and just played without thinking too much. And here are the results.
Here they are drying in my workroom. That old clothes horse I found while tidying the boxroom came in useful! (So obviously tidying does have its benefits…
This is the first I did. It’s roughly based on one of my doodles.
Here’s a sort of stylized tree.
I painted this to enhance some rust dyed fabric.
A lot of what I was painted was for textures, to print on or to cut up and use for journals. I thought of printing one of my Gocco house screens on top of this.
This is a sort of brick texture. I printed it using the tip of a sponge brush.
This was overpainted on to some blue fabric.
And this was another ‘texture’ painting. The fabric is quite shiny and it looks quite effective.
Now I have to leave them for a few months to batch, so the colours don’t just wash out. So no guilt about not using them!