I’m involved in a group called the International Quilt Challenge where we take turns to set a theme and all have 2 months to make a small piece based on our interpretation of that theme. The group has a blog where we document the progress of our pieces of work which you can find here , together with links to the blogs or websites of everyone else in the group.
The first theme was Light and Shade and this is the piece I made for it, which I entitled Murder Mystery.
If you visit the blog page you can read about how I came to call it that!
The next theme challenge is Through The Window and there have already been several interesting posts about how we are thinking of interpreting it.
I’m hoping I will get back to blogging (and actually creating!|) soon – it’s been a challenging and stressful few months family wise (though I’m not sure this year is going to be any less stressful with one son doing GSCEs and another his A levels!).
I’ve been a bit in the doldrums regarding creativity recently, or at least the textile sort. So I had to force myself to get down to printing the next in the reeds series and it was a slow start. But now I think I’m getting into it!
Here is the sample piece I produced for what I want to do. I’m trying to capture a grey, glowering sky with the dirty-gold reeds against it. This is just a practice piece to help me see how the lighter colours of the yellow-gold will show up against the grey.
It is going to consist of many layers. Here are the first two, not looking too promising yet…
Next I started with one thermofax screen.
And then another….
At least another 5 layers to go… This is a slow process, as I have to wait for each layer to dry before I add the next. I’m using fabric paints. But it fits in with my routine at the moment: lots of cooking food for teenagers and countless household tasks, packaging up Gocco machines (only three left now, the pile is going down!), and my least favourite, juggling with figures for the tax return. Not so many visits to quilt shows or textile museums, though I did manage my first ever visit to Ikea now that DS1 has passed his driving test! And lots of family tree research, and I’m plotting a visit to the National Archives in London….
So, to conclude this post, here is my design board at the moment:
Karen Stiehl Osborn has just written a tutorial on her blog entitled From Photograph to Thermofax. If you use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and want to make a Gocco screen or thermofax screen and don’t know the best way to alter a photograph to make the best sort of image for it, check it out!
If you prefer using Paint Shop Pro, I wrote an article a few months ago on the same subject. You can find it here. There is also a link on my left sidebar.
While I’m on the subject of Gocco prints, I do still have some Print Gocco machines – PG10 and PG10 Supers – for sale, and have reduced the prices for April so there’s still a few days left!