Discharging fabric

Before I forget, I now have a newsletter sign up form on the top of the sidebar – I plan to send out newsletters about every 3 months so if you would like to receive one with details of what I’m up to, do subscribe! I promise not to bombard you with emails and I have set it up so it is easy for you to unsubscribe again if you decide you don’t want to get them any more.  This is different from subscribing to my blog feed and I’ll try and make the content new and different too!

Last week I spent several hours discharging some of the fabric that I printed in the autumn as well as some ugly fabric which was languishing on my shelves from previous screenprinting attempts.  I also discharged some black fabric.  I used formosol with print paste.   The smell is still hanging around my studio, even though I did the actual discharging outside wearing a respirator.

Here are a couple of them, showing the progression of colour on and off them.  (I just spent a good while searching for photos of the original fabric on Picasa too – at least this blog can now serve as documentation of their development!).

This  fabric started off as an unprepossessing dyed/printed piece from 2006. This was part of it originally:

 ugly fabric

It sat on my shelves because I didn’t know what on earth to do with it.  So I painted it red this autumn.

ugly red fabric

I wasn’t sure I liked it any more like this.  So I screened it with discharge paste and a thermofax screen I made from a home made rubber stamp design and now I like it a lot better!

red fabric discharged

You can see a little peek of the second fabric on that photo above, which has also been overprinted with the same screen.

Here is how it started:

ugly screenprinted fabric 

This fabric was made from a breakdown printing screen and was one of the pieces made when the screen was breaking down quite a lot and much of the original detail had been lost.  This page shows the original screenprinting session results.

DSCN1896

I wanted to unify it all and didn’t particularly like the original fabric so I overprinted it with the ‘squares’ screen in black.  Here it is on my table just after being printed.

printed and discharged fabric

As well as printing with black, I decided to give it some depth by discharging areas using the same screen.  So here it is now – I think it looks much better.  Not sure where both of these pieces are going next but I hope it doesn’t take another 5 years to decide!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, ,

5 Responses to Discharging fabric

  1. Wen Redmond January 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm #

    Cool! I like the effects of discharge. I’ve never used formosol. I’ll have to try it someday.
    Nice works.

  2. teri January 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

    Love it, especially the final piece. Where are you doing the discharge at this time of year? I would love to do some but I really don’t have any place to work with adequate ventilation.

  3. Liz January 28, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

    Thanks, Teri and Wen!

    Teri, I did it outside in the back garden; I set up a trestle table and ran an extension lead out for the iron. It was sunny a couple of days last week, though today would have been better because there is more wind! But freezing cold… you should have seen me, there bundled up in my hat, scarf and gloves and respirator…. Wot a sight!!

  4. Gerrie January 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

    Gorgeous fabrics – very inspiring.

  5. Sheila January 30, 2011 at 3:22 am #

    Yes, definite improvements all around. I particularly like the last few with the squares. Come fix some of MY problem fabrics!!! ;-)