For several years now, our garden has been getting rather out of hand. Until a couple of months ago, the border on the left hand side consisted of lots of overgrown bushes (mostly dead actually), with more mostly dead honeysuckle growing up them. I decided to cut back two of them. Well, I cut them back so much that it looked like they’d had it, and I exposed about 8 feet of soil in the process! One trip to the garden centre later, and I had several perennial plants to fill it up. This is what it looked like just after planting. A bit sparse….
I decided to plant some annuals in the gaps to fill it up a bit. I got some pot marigold and some other unidentified yellow plants.
Then I put in an evening primrose plant I had growing in a pot on the patio – this self seeds really easily and though it is only biennial we’ve had them every year since we bought the original one about 20 years ago. And a comfrey plant on the left. They looked really nice when all these were in flower:
This was taken a couple of weeks ago – already they are starting to fill up that space. Now almost all the red flowers have finished but there are loads of that orange one.
It was a wet day when I took this one!
And in case you wondered, those two bushes did recover and are about to fight back – I will have to remember to prune them vigorously in future!