Yes, it’s finished! It knit up really quickly once I got going. I nearly ran out of dyed wool though – it was good that I dyed the two extra skeins last week because I needed them. This is all that was left of the dyed wool (apart from the Kool Aid dyed stuff and about 8 oz of undyed which I’ve earmarked for indigo or henna or something that doesn’t need a mordant). I bought 2lbs of it altogether so the bag is pretty heavy!
The brown roving is the one I dyed with St Johns Wort (and copper mordant). The thinner wool is what the skeins were tied up with!
Here is the finished bag before felting:
I decided to make the handles as in the French Market bag in Knitty rather than a shoulder strap which was what the pattern I used called for. I was glad I did because I think it looks better that way.
Here is the finished bag! I ended up washing it at 60 and then at 90 (thanks, Helen!) on a short cycle each time, then I spun it contrary to the pattern instructions because I didn’t want to wait DAYS for it to dry out and I finished it off for 5 minutes or so in the dryer to fluff it up a bit.
I like the way the colours have changed with the felting. The browns look much more greenish and the reds stand out nicely.
This is the other side of the bag. And underneath:
And a close up!
At present it is sitting on the floor stuffed with towels to give it a nice rounded shape!