I just finished Journal 4 of Sue’s course last night.
The cover is made of brown wrapping paper painted with acrylic paint! It is similar to the first journal that we made in that there are sewn signatures inside. I stitched them all in, and stitched on the button, which is an old wooden vintage button and some twisted cord made from Colinette Point 5 yarn – and discovered that the cover was inside out and I had sewn the signatures to the outside instead of the inside!
So… hmm… what to do? Do I undo it all and start again? Hmmm… not me! build on mistakes, incorporate them into the general scheme of things, that’s my philosophy….
When I was painting the brown paper, I painted everything in sight, including some Japanese newspaper which came with the Gocco machines. Here is a pic of it all drying by the way…
Here is the brown paper ready to be made into the journal:
This is the finished journal. I cut strips of the Japanese newspaper and stuck them around the joins. Luckily the inside of the cover was the same as the outside apart from the joins. I like the vintage look it gives it.
There is a pocket on the inside – I made mine with textured brown paper – this just came as packaging with something and I painted it. I love how it picks up the fold patterns.
I put a mixture of cardstock, handmade paper, lokta paper specially cut for the inkjet printer and ordinary paper inside.
This is the lokta paper. It is very strong and can be stitched. Here I have stitched a pocket made of painted and stamped lutradur.
This is handmade paper which I stamped into when it was drying. After it was dry I painted the stamped bits with Aquawax (a sort of resist wax which can be used on paper – I actually bought it by mistake, meaning to get acrylic wax…) and paint.
This is some more of the lokta paper, which I printed in my inkjet printer. It is a photo which I took on a walk near some waterfalls in the Brecon Beacons. I love the mossy trees and rocks.