Solardyeing

With the hot weather we have been having over the past few weeks, I decided to test out Kimberley’s instructions on solardyeing which she gave us in her regular Prairie Fibers newsletter a few weeks ago. I cheated a bit because I put the fabric and the dyestuff in together with one of these so it may not work but I had the kids at home and didn’t have time to do much, so I thought, better do a bit and experiment and if it doesn’t work it’s better than doing nothing! Now I’ve just got to wait for a week or two or three or however long I can manage to keep my hands off them…

three jars with natural dyestuffs and fabric in liquid sitting in the sun

They’ve all got silk and alum in them. The one on the left has bindweed, of which we have far too much in our garden. The one in the middle has comfrey liquid which has been busy composting in water for a few weeks already, and the right hand one has some powdered madder which I bought at the American Museum in Bath a few years ago so it’s time I used it.

I’ll let you know the results in a few weeks… or less….

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

7 Responses to Solardyeing

  1. Helen Suzanne July 30, 2006 at 11:01 pm #

    Hi Liz,
    This sounds fascinating. I didn’t know about the bindweed as a dye. I’ve been growing some woad and tansy to use but the madder seeds failed to sprout :(( probably much more accessable to use the powered stuff then.

    do let us know how it all goes
    Helen S

  2. jenny July 31, 2006 at 7:07 pm #

    Hi Liz,

  3. jenny July 31, 2006 at 7:09 pm #

    This sounds good, look forward to seeing the results, have done an experiment with woad leaves in jam jar and got a nice yellow.
    Jenny.

  4. Karoda August 1, 2006 at 7:31 pm #

    sounds like some fun experimenting you have going on! will look forward to seeing what it looks like coming out of the jar and then when dried. stay cool!

  5. debra August 2, 2006 at 11:25 pm #

    have been solar dying for many years-however, where I live it only takes a day or two! never thought of using the bindweed for a dye plant.

  6. Diane August 3, 2006 at 1:43 am #

    I would love to try this – in fact I signed up for the newsletter and haven’t heard an email back. I guess I’ll try again…
    Enjoy reading your blog.

  7. Carol August 4, 2006 at 10:18 am #

    Hi Liz,

    This looks fascinating. I signed up for Kimberley’s newsletter. I have been busy rust dying and was looking for something “natural” to add to it to give other colours.

    Can’t wait to see the results.