I’ve got a bit behind with talking about my screenprinting here – I’ve taken photos but just been getting on with it instead of documenting it! These are a few different shaped pieces drying on the line. I used these as test pieces, play pieces really. I bought several bundles of small pieces of fabric from Empress Mills at the Knitting and Stitching Show a week ago (well, actually 4 kilos of Egyptian cotton fabric pieces for £5 which I thought was pretty good until I had been carrying it around for a couple of hours! I didn’t really register that 4 kilos weighs a lot.. well, 4 kilos!). I wanted to check that I had scoured them enough because it is sheeting fabric. The black dye here had also been made about 5 weeks ago and I wanted to check it was still viable.
I have been making a lot of thin lines with my parallel pens and I like the effect they make.
I painted this first of all with very dilute yellow-brown dye and then ‘wrote’ with it, an actual sort of diary entry whatever came into my head. It is purposely blurry and illegible. I just wanted to get the effect of writing, of the marks made by writing.
These long thin strips were some of the fabric bits from Empress Mills. They took the dye well too, and as you can see, the black dye doesn’t seem to have lost much, if any, of its potency yet. I’m glad about that because I hate throwing anything out!
This is what I did today. It’s a thermofax screen made from one of the pages of mark making with my parallel pens. I really like the effect. I printed the yellow dye first, then waited until it was dry enough not to bleed when the red-brown dye was screened, did the same with that and then with the darker brown. Now it is batching.
This is some fabric I painted with the same screen, but with this one I deliberately kept printing while the dye was wet so it all blurred into each other. I think this will be a very useful screen. I’ve also printed one piece with just very light grey which I’m going to overprint. I think I’ll discharge this one next.
And this is a detail of the fabric printed with the ‘leaf’ screen (the one I photographed with its shadow a few posts back). I really like this and can see me using it a lot too. Not sure yet where this fabric is going next. I printed it in a few different colours and values between red and black and then I painted in some of the white areas with a very pale grey-blue colour.