At last – we have photos!
This was dyed with blackberry leaves and a copper mordant.
This one was mordanted with alum and was dyed in the exhaust of the blackberry leaf dyebath.
This was dyed with an unknown hanging plant which I pulled up from the garden last summer and has been soaking all winter outside in water.
It didn’t get much colour, but it is a nice creamy shade. There is definite colour when I put it next to the original. It also was mordanted with alum.
This next one had a bit of a chequered life because I mordanted it with alum and then dyed it in a forsythia dyebath which was almost completely useless. I also added a pinch of iron for the last 15 minutes, but that didn’t improve it. So I chucked some madder roots which I had been soaking into a sort of large herb sphere that I have (actually I think it is for steaming vegetables but it looks more like those things you can buy for infusing herb tea except bigger. Except that some of the bits of madder root were too small and came out of the holes on to the yarn and the next day I got the whole lot out, put the madder into a muslin bag, rinsed the yarn, which now had patches of red on it but not entirely, and put it back into the madder bath. You’re not supposed to heat the madder to more than about 50C so I just heated it up and then left it overnight. I added another skein of yarn to get the exhaust.
And here is the skein that was added later:
Here they all are together:
I’ve still got some yarn mordanted with copper and some more which is unmordanted yet so watch this space! I’ve sent off for an indigo kit so I’m going to try that next…
This is the Kool Aid dyed yarn:
I put it in a microwave dish and poured the colours on as if I was space dyeing then heated it.
For this next one I did the same but they seem to have more or less all gone into one or two shades…
And I overdyed some felt which I made about a year ago:
It was mostly to tone down the brilliant white colour of the back: