Spoonflower fabric

I’m just writing a short blog post this time because I am experimenting with a new plugin which allows me to write blog posts in Evernote and post them to the blog automatically.  It’ll be a lot easier to blog if this works because I use Evernote a lot.

This is some of the fabric that I got printed on Spoonflower and it is now available for sale in my shop.   I had it printed on the silky faille which is polyester – it took the colours really well and has a nice feel to it.

Woo hoo! It worked!

Dipping my toe into Spoonflower

Over the last few months I’ve been gradually uploading designs to Spoonflower, the fabric printing company, with the eventual aim of selling them.    At the end of last year I won a free giveaway they were offering, of a pattern and 3 yards of the fabric of my choice, so that gave me the impetus to get going.  I still haven’t ordered the fabric but I have ordered swatches of a number of designs so that I can check the colours are what I expected.

Those haven’t arrived yet, but earlier this year Spoonflower offered a free swatch printing on a new fabric, silky faille, so I took advantage of it, and was pleased with the results:

swatch of spoonflower fabric I ordered
Swatch of my fabric design!

You can see the full design here.

Spoonflower also run monthly design competitions based on various themes, and this month’s is lilies, so since I had one which fits the bill, I decided to enter it.  I don’t suppose it has much chance of winning as there are a huge lot of entries this month, but I would love it if you could vote for my design here!  This is a screenshot of it:

Spoonflower lilies

Here is my spoonflower shop widget with pics of a few of the designs:


Acrylic paint on fabric – some experiments

While I was writing my article for Quiltwow on using acrylic paint on fabric, I decided to do a few tests to see which sorts of acrylic paint worked best and also to see how much wash out there was if I used them on poly cotton.

I used Golden thick bodied acrylic, Golden fluid acrylics and some Daler Rowney FW acrylic inks that I had.  I painted each one on some thick cotton duck (canvas), some fairly coarse cotton fabric and some not all that thick polycotton.   I painted two of each and washed one of the pair to see how much washout there was.

Here are the results.  The ones on the left of each photo are the washed versions and the ones on the right, the unwashed.

Heavy acrylic paint on the canvas:

acrylic paint on fabric

Heavy acrylic paint on the cotton fabric:

acrylic paint on fabric

Heavy acrylic on polycotton:

acrylic paint on fabric

Acrylic ink on canvas:

acrylic paint on fabric

Acrylic ink on cotton:

acrylic paint on fabric

Acrylic ink on poly cotton:

acrylic paint on fabric

Fluid acrylic on canvas:

acrylic paint on fabric

Fluid acrylic on cotton:

acrylic paint on fabric

And finally, fluid acrylic on poly cotton:

acrylic paint on fabric

This experiment wasn’t at all scientific but it was interesting to me, especially to find that acrylics seem to be fine to use on poly cotton (next time I’ll have a go with 100% polyester) and the fluid acrylics are best of all for painting on fabric, predictably because they contain less binder and more pigment.

The little sample book, by the way, is another that I made with the Bind it All.

Design Board and Print Blocks – the results!

Here is my design board standing up on its wheels before I put the flannel on:

polystyrene design board in wooden frame

And here it is after I had covered it with white flannel, which I bought from Cotton Patch.   I pinned it with copious drawing pins into the wooden frame on the reverse.  I stuck a piece of fabric on it to test its stickability!  It is some which I painted in 2005 when I was working my way through The Artist’s Way.    I must do something with it sometime – the story of my life!  I seem to paint and dye much more fabric than I ever have time to stitch…..

design board with flannel attached with a piece of painted fabric on it

Talking of fabric, here are some of the results of my printing with the blocks I made in the last post:

grey fabric with gold string prints

This was the block with the string wrapped round it.

grey fabric with metallic square blocks printed on it

For this one, I used the large rectangular print block and painted it with three colours.  The gold is metallic powder mixed with Ormoline fabric medium and the other two colours are Jacquard Pearlex powders. 

printed fabric

I did this by rolling a brayer in the paint (when I say paint, I mean the powders mixed with Ormoline) and then rolling the brayer over the print block so that it picked up the image, and then I rolled it on the fabric.

printed fabric

I did this one just by rolling the brayer in the paint and then rolling it on to the fabric – the paint formed the organic, swirly shapes.

I will probably overprint these with something else later to add more depth.

It was St David’s Day on Thursday so I bought these daffodils to brighten up the kitchen table:

daffodils