You might remember I had a yard of this design printed on Spoonflower Eco Canvas fabric about a year ago. Since then, I’ve been looking at it and wondering what would be best to make with it.
If you’ve been following me on social media, you may have guessed that I finally cut into it and made a bag. I used a pdf pattern by Blue Calla Sewing Patterns called the Dahlia Drawstring Bag. I wanted the patterned squares to be the focus so I had to plan the cutting carefully so that all the seams and lines would line up and not look out of place on the finished bag. It used a surprising amount of fabric by the time the pieces were selected (and quite a lot of brain power in the process!).
It is a bucket bag with side pockets. Here is the exterior piece all stitched together.
And a front view – the pattern suggested vinyl for the base and top front but I couldn’t find any that I liked so I cut up a Boden raincoat that I no longer wear. I like the fabric and want to refashion the top part of the coat into a kind of waistcoat so I thought I’d use the rest in my bag.
For the lining I used some pinky-red hand printed and discharged fabric that I had in my cupboard. I think it would make a nice lampshade cover with the light shining through it!
Here it is all stitched together – the top has a drawstring closure which meant putting grommets in. That was a challenge all of its own. Suffice to say that I’m not too good with a hammer. Unfortunately they were too large for the Crop-a-dile which is what I usually use for smaller eyelets.
My husband and I had a holiday in Haute Vienne in France in early June. One of the places we visited was a papermill and paper museum called the Moulin du Got which had an exhibition that reminded me of shibori and manipulated fabric. Here are some of the exhibits – looking at the website I think these are all by the artist Fritz Jacquet.
The papermill was in an area famous for its tapestry – Aubusson and Felletin – and I had a fascinating tour around a museum of tapestry cartoons (the paintings which provide the guide for the tapestry weaver).
Do you remember the shibori fabric in the last post and that I thought of making a bag with it? Well, I bought a pdf pattern of this bag – the Zip-To-It from Cloudsplitter Bags – and decided to make a practice version first. Here it is! I really enjoyed making it and can thoroughly recommend the pattern: it comes with lots of photos to walk you through the (quite complicated) process. This practice session was useful because I came to the conclusion that Spoonflower’s ecocanvas would probably be too thick to use for it (this one has several layers of quilting fabric plus interfacing and zip and my sewing machine was protesting at certain points!). So I will use a simpler pattern, and maybe make a tote or a bag for planner supplies (or both!). I love this bag though, and can see myself making a few more.
I took it to my son Barney’s graduation from Trinity College, Cambridge last month.
I have just started a Facebook group for customers and fans of my digital downloads and scrapbooking papers. It is called Plummer Printables and I’m hoping that we will be able to discuss what we can do with the digital papers and planner stickers/clipart and share links to tutorials and ideas. If you are interested in joining, please click the link and ask to be added to the group.
For a FREE sample pack of printable painted papers, sign up for my newsletter today!