I’m just writing a short blog post this time because I am experimenting with a new plugin which allows me to write blog posts in Evernote and post them to the blog automatically. It’ll be a lot easier to blog if this works because I use Evernote a lot.
This is some of the fabric that I got printed on Spoonflower and it is now available for sale in my shop. I had it printed on the silky faille which is polyester – it took the colours really well and has a nice feel to it.
Over the last few months I’ve been gradually uploading designs to Spoonflower, the fabric printing company, with the eventual aim of selling them. At the end of last year I won a free giveaway they were offering, of a pattern and 3 yards of the fabric of my choice, so that gave me the impetus to get going. I still haven’t ordered the fabric but I have ordered swatches of a number of designs so that I can check the colours are what I expected.
Those haven’t arrived yet, but earlier this year Spoonflower offered a free swatch printing on a new fabric, silky faille, so I took advantage of it, and was pleased with the results:
Spoonflower also run monthly design competitions based on various themes, and this month’s is lilies, so since I had one which fits the bill, I decided to enter it. I don’t suppose it has much chance of winning as there are a huge lot of entries this month, but I would love it if you could vote for my design here! This is a screenshot of it:
Here is my spoonflower shop widget with pics of a few of the designs:
I actually made a quilt the other day! And it is the biggest I’ve ever made – it is just a bit bigger than single bed size – not remarkable for most quilters, but even when I did City & Guilds the largest I made was a lapquilt sized wall quilt and most of the others have been art ones.
It is made from African Dutch wax prints fabric – it is very colourful, isn’t it? The quilting wouldn’t win any prizes but I was pleased to actually finish something. I quite enjoyed just mindlessly sewing without having to make too many design decisions along the way.
I watched a Youtube video on making jelly roll quilts and there was a pile of African fabrics on my shelves so I cut them into strips and rolled them up… The Missouri Quilt Company who made the video have a channel on Youtube with lots of others if you feel like a good browse…
This fabric was dry painted – using a brush that had been cut irregularly to produce a more random edge with most of the dye shaken off, it was brushed across the fabric repeatedly, using different colours and shades. I like the texture produced when it picked up various folds and wrinkles in the fabric. The first photo is a detailed shot of the second.
I can see this fabric being useful for landscape backgrounds and suchlike.
This very interesting piece of cloth is actually the fabric I used to wipe the dye from the plastic used for one of my experiments! I think the black was thickened dye paint and the greeny colour unthickened but it turned out quite dramatic!
For a FREE sample pack of printable painted papers, sign up for my newsletter today!