I’ve just discovered that the V &A (Victoria & Albert Museum in London) has an Online Journal which looks very interesting. There are a couple of patchwork/quilting related articles – Michele Walker: Keepsakes of Identity: Memoriam and Doing Time: Patchwork as a Tool of Social Rehabilitation in British Prisons. Off to read them….
Here is my design board standing up on its wheels before I put the flannel on:
And here it is after I had covered it with white flannel, which I bought from Cotton Patch. I pinned it with copious drawing pins into the wooden frame on the reverse. I stuck a piece of fabric on it to test its stickability! It is some which I painted in 2005 when I was working my way through The Artist’s Way. I must do something with it sometime – the story of my life! I seem to paint and dye much more fabric than I ever have time to stitch…..
Talking of fabric, here are some of the results of my printing with the blocks I made in the last post:
This was the block with the string wrapped round it.
For this one, I used the large rectangular print block and painted it with three colours. The gold is metallic powder mixed with Ormoline fabric medium and the other two colours are Jacquard Pearlex powders.
I did this by rolling a brayer in the paint (when I say paint, I mean the powders mixed with Ormoline) and then rolling the brayer over the print block so that it picked up the image, and then I rolled it on the fabric.
I did this one just by rolling the brayer in the paint and then rolling it on to the fabric – the paint formed the organic, swirly shapes.
I will probably overprint these with something else later to add more depth.
It was St David’s Day on Thursday so I bought these daffodils to brighten up the kitchen table:
DH is in the process of making me a design board. Following instructions on Quiltart and on Mrs Mel’s blog, we went to buy a piece of 8′ by 4′ insulation board. It was interesting getting it home in the car, particularly as we had two of the boys with us!
Here it is sitting in my studio. By the way, the latter is relatively tidy.
He has now put a wooden frame round it and glued it in place, although he thinks he will have to use a different glue because that one isn’t holding too well. He is then going to put some supports on the base with little wheels attached so I can move it round.
Here it is as it is at present. He is off tomorrow so hopefully it will progress then….
I haven’t been doing too much in the studio lately but today, inspired by an article in Stitch Magazine by Ruth Issett on using metallic powders and Jacquard Pearl-Ex powders (amongst other things), both of which I have and don’t use much, I made a few stamp blocks in preparation. I glued fun foam on to mountboard in various patterns and a few other things like string:
There is a big one here too…
Hopefully in a few days I’ll have done something with them, once the PVA glue dries. I put it on quite thick to make it nice and waterproof as well as ensuring that the fun foam stays on. We made quite a few stamps out of this during City & Guilds and I still use some of them, particularly a spiral one. Sealed with acrylic paint, it is quite sturdy!
I can’t believe how much interest is still being shown in my Concertina Book photo Tutorial which I posted almost a year ago.
Sharon at In a Minute Ago kindly posted a link to it about a week ago and the Craftypod Podcast mentioned it as a resource in their Making Alt (not Altered) Books podcast .
If you are stuck for a gift or two and want something quick to make, I recommend having a go!
Meanwhile, I still have some presents to buy and all my cards to write and several other things to do …. it was my birthday yesterday – thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday! One new phenomenon this year was the uncanny number of emails I had from online sales outlets and other sites like my webhost who also wished me a happy birthday…. I’m SURE I have never told them what it is! A bit worrying…