Where has the time gone? I can’t believe it is 4 days since I last posted. How easily I get out of the habit! I had the first stage of root canal treatment on my tooth last Friday and since then have had various aches and pains in my mouth – I thought I was getting a throat infection earlier in the week so I was taking it easy. Gargling with salt and dosing myself with plenty of vitamins and herb teas. It seems to be easing off, thankfully. 2 more weeks till the next stage of the treatment. I often find that if I have antibiotics, I get some sort of infection after I finish them, as if all the bad bacteria are rushing to take over again and my body can’t quite fight them off quickly enough…. Must be a quilt in that image…
Anyway, dear readers, I would like your advice. A few months ago I made this quilt with some of my rusted fabric:
I think it looks a bit boring like that and a bit strange (mainly due to the shape it turned out by the time I had finished quilting) and I would like to make it more like this:
Of course, it is on the floor at the moment so it looks a bit strange anyway, but I thought of either wiring it somehow or attaching it to some background, either fabric or board or something. I’ve never done anything like this, and of course I didn’t start from the beginning and incorporate it into the design so anything I do will have to be added on to either the front or the back and therefore will affect the way it looks now. Any suggestions will be considered gratefully! It is quite thick, by the way, because the grey fabric is a sort of thick upholstery (I think) fabric with a bit of a pile and it has various layers on top of that, and it is quite heavily quilted.
Here is a detail of it:
A couple of people asked me if I wanted to swap ATCs with them, so I’ve made some more! If anyone else wants to swap, there are six going begging! (Of course, if I’m really enthusiastic I might just manage a few more….) Here are the second lot:
I also thought of a creative use for the iron grid thing you get with those disposable barbecues. To use it as a frame/mount for one of my collages! If it rusts through a bit, it will just add to the effect! There are quite sharp edges, however, so I decided to wrap thread round them and bend the sharp edges over using pliers. Here it is so far. I’ve decided to weave threads diagonally across too. I’ve just done one green one so far but intend to do a lot more. The rough edges need a bit more smoothing – any suggestions for good ways to do this? Or what I SHOULD have done? (I’ve got another of these grids which I’m intending to use for another one). What do you think of this ‘found objects’ method of mounting?! Any comments welcomed!
This is it with the collage piece sitting on it. I need to zigzag round the edges. I think I will attach it by stitching it to the grid in four places.
There are a lot of arches and things in these collages and ATCs (they are all the same piece cut up) and I have stitched ‘portals’ all over it.
Earlier in the week I cut up one of those collages and have got a pile of potential postcards! But I also made some ATCs – Artists’ Trading Cards, for Dale’s swap. Here they are.
I’ve never made ATCs before. I think I prefer postcards – the ATCs were a little too small for me.
This is just a short post today as I’m feeling ropey with some bug or other that has got me.
I loved looking at the Quilt Art Exhibition yesterday. I can’t post any photos because photography wasn’t allowed but I’ll link to websites where possible. It was really quiet, right at the end of a corridor of the city museum, and it was lovely being able to look at my leisure with no one getting in the way, and to stand back and really have a good look at all the quilts. I had a chance to notice details I wouldn’t otherwise, to view them as a whole seeing things you don’t see in photos, as they are meant to be viewed, at a distance. Below are a few of the ones which particularly struck me.
One favourite was Low Meadow by Elizabeth Brimelow – first picture on the page. If you hover the mouse over the photo it shows a detail. There were hundreds of individual grass shapes appliqued on the silk background and the yellow flowers were printed on, I assume with paint.
I loved Linda Colsh’s quilt too – unfortunately I can’t find a photo on the web of the quilt in the exhibition and for some reason it isn’t in the exhibition catalogue!
Another one I enjoyed looking at was Bente Vold Klausen from Norway. I can’t find a picture of her quilt online but here is a link to some of her others. I had not come across Bente’s quilts before. The one in the exhibition is called Universe.
Susan Denton has a series called Making the World a Safer Place.
All in all, I enjoyed looking at the way these talented quiltmakers built up their designs using surface design, adding layers of colour with paint, dye, stitch…