You might remember I had a yard of this design printed on Spoonflower Eco Canvas fabric about a year ago. Since then, I’ve been looking at it and wondering what would be best to make with it.
If you’ve been following me on social media, you may have guessed that I finally cut into it and made a bag. I used a pdf pattern by Blue Calla Sewing Patterns called the Dahlia Drawstring Bag. I wanted the patterned squares to be the focus so I had to plan the cutting carefully so that all the seams and lines would line up and not look out of place on the finished bag. It used a surprising amount of fabric by the time the pieces were selected (and quite a lot of brain power in the process!).
It is a bucket bag with side pockets. Here is the exterior piece all stitched together.
And a front view – the pattern suggested vinyl for the base and top front but I couldn’t find any that I liked so I cut up a Boden raincoat that I no longer wear. I like the fabric and want to refashion the top part of the coat into a kind of waistcoat so I thought I’d use the rest in my bag.
For the lining I used some pinky-red hand printed and discharged fabric that I had in my cupboard. I think it would make a nice lampshade cover with the light shining through it!
Here it is all stitched together – the top has a drawstring closure which meant putting grommets in. That was a challenge all of its own. Suffice to say that I’m not too good with a hammer. Unfortunately they were too large for the Crop-a-dile which is what I usually use for smaller eyelets.
In September 2013, I won a Spoonflower giveaway: a Wiksten pattern for a top and 3 yards of Spoonflower fabric printed in the design of my choice. Exciting! At that point, I hadn’t had much experience with Spoonflower or putting designs into repeat but I knew I wanted to use my own design on the fabric so it took me a while to take advantage of my win and actually order the fabric. I wanted to get it right so before I ordered the actual yardage I got a few swatches made.
The swatches are printed on silky faille which is a 100% polyester fabric and is really drapy and prints the colours very faithfully to the image. I finally decided which designs I wanted to order so I got a yard of the fabric below:
and two yards of this one, which was the one I originally thought I would use for the top:
I received the fabrics last May and since then have been looking at them, stroking them and being afraid to cut into them!! I finally came to the conclusion that Watercolour Kaleidoscope would be a better design for large drapes or cushions and that I would make the top out of Fairy Garden. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to fit the pattern pieces on to one yard of fabric but I think it was the right decision.
Here it is hanging over my printing table.
I experimented with which binding to use – the fabric is quite slippery and needed quite a bit of care to stitch properly. I rejected silk or polyester fabric for the binding and in the end used this red lawn fabric which is made of very fine cotton – this was a lot easier to control than the polyester. I ended up putting it round the hem as well as the necklines and armholes because it was easier than trying to fold over the curved fabric twice – and it meant that I could make the top that much longer.
It fits really well and I’m pleased with how it looks. Well worth the wait! By the way, if you fancy buying some of either of these fabrics, they (and others) are available in my Spoonflower shop. And now I have started filling it, I intend to continue adding to it!
I got so inspired seeing all the Facebook pictures of 12 things to celebrate the 12th of the 12th 2012 yesterday that I decided to do my own … pity I was a day late but never mind! I had so much fun finding groups of 12s in my studio and rediscovering a lot of nice arty things I’d almost forgotten I had, that I went mad and did more than 12 so you’ll be seeing some of them here in the future…
1. 12 black pens for making gocco/thermofax masters for screens with.
2. 12 inks.
3. 12 round beads.
4. 12 hand made beads.
5. 12 brown buttons.
6. 12 reels of vintage Sylko thread.
7. 12 thread labels.
8. 12 glass headed pins.
9. 12 stamps made from fun foam stuck on card.
10. 12 stamps carved from erasers or that pink rubbery stuff.
11. 12 Print Gocco ink tubes.
12. 12 wooden printing blocks.
For a FREE sample pack of printable painted papers, sign up for my newsletter today!