In September 2013, I won a Spoonflower giveaway: a Wiksten pattern for a top and 3 yards of Spoonflower fabric printed in the design of my choice. Exciting! At that point, I hadn’t had much experience with Spoonflower or putting designs into repeat but I knew I wanted to use my own design on the fabric so it took me a while to take advantage of my win and actually order the fabric. I wanted to get it right so before I ordered the actual yardage I got a few swatches made.
The swatches are printed on silky faille which is a 100% polyester fabric and is really drapy and prints the colours very faithfully to the image. I finally decided which designs I wanted to order so I got a yard of the fabric below:
and two yards of this one, which was the one I originally thought I would use for the top:
I received the fabrics last May and since then have been looking at them, stroking them and being afraid to cut into them!! I finally came to the conclusion that Watercolour Kaleidoscope would be a better design for large drapes or cushions and that I would make the top out of Fairy Garden. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to fit the pattern pieces on to one yard of fabric but I think it was the right decision.
Here it is hanging over my printing table.
I experimented with which binding to use – the fabric is quite slippery and needed quite a bit of care to stitch properly. I rejected silk or polyester fabric for the binding and in the end used this red lawn fabric which is made of very fine cotton – this was a lot easier to control than the polyester. I ended up putting it round the hem as well as the necklines and armholes because it was easier than trying to fold over the curved fabric twice – and it meant that I could make the top that much longer.
It fits really well and I’m pleased with how it looks. Well worth the wait! By the way, if you fancy buying some of either of these fabrics, they (and others) are available in my Spoonflower shop. And now I have started filling it, I intend to continue adding to it!
I’m just writing a short blog post this time because I am experimenting with a new plugin which allows me to write blog posts in Evernote and post them to the blog automatically. It’ll be a lot easier to blog if this works because I use Evernote a lot.
This is some of the fabric that I got printed on Spoonflower and it is now available for sale in my shop. I had it printed on the silky faille which is polyester – it took the colours really well and has a nice feel to it.
Over the last few months I’ve been gradually uploading designs to Spoonflower, the fabric printing company, with the eventual aim of selling them. At the end of last year I won a free giveaway they were offering, of a pattern and 3 yards of the fabric of my choice, so that gave me the impetus to get going. I still haven’t ordered the fabric but I have ordered swatches of a number of designs so that I can check the colours are what I expected.
Those haven’t arrived yet, but earlier this year Spoonflower offered a free swatch printing on a new fabric, silky faille, so I took advantage of it, and was pleased with the results:
Spoonflower also run monthly design competitions based on various themes, and this month’s is lilies, so since I had one which fits the bill, I decided to enter it. I don’t suppose it has much chance of winning as there are a huge lot of entries this month, but I would love it if you could vote for my design here! This is a screenshot of it:
Here is my spoonflower shop widget with pics of a few of the designs:
For a FREE sample pack of printable painted papers, sign up for my newsletter today!