Sorry about the delay in posting the second part of this post. I had to do a bit of photo editing in Picasa to make the colours more realistic. For some reason, every time I tried to photograph them they just looked faded and washed out – maybe the synthetic fabrics reflect the light back in some way so the colours don’t come out true. Or something like that.
I was able to use each piece of transfer painted paper about three times, getting progressively fainter. I still haven’t printed all the papers as I got diverted by some natural dyeing and printing (those photos are to come!) but here are the ones I have done. I used a variety of fabrics – some synthetic napkins, lutradur, Evolon (a thin sythetic fabric that feels a bit like very soft felt) and polyester organza.
This is the piece of Evolon, with a variety of the papers printed on it. Here are a few close ups:
This is the paper with the printed thermofax screen.
This was one of the papers made using the fabric crayons.
This one had a rubbing over a Lego layout plate and another rubbing over the circles stencil and a wash of dilute transfer paint over that.
This is the rubbing over the plastic grid.
Another screenprinted one. I ironed the paper twice, once at a 90 degree angle to the other.
This is the lutradur printed with the paper rubbed over the letterpress type. This could be layered over something as the lutradur is quite translucent.
Those seem to be the only ones I’ve done so far. More to come! But first, lots of natural dyed or painted stuff…