I just taught myself how to mount my 2005 journal quilts on to foam core so I thought I’d post a photo tutorial, as it has been a while since I did one.
Here, from the last post, is the photo of the cut, painted boards. I cut them about an inch wider all round than the quilts, with a craft knife. I painted them with a mixture of black acrylic paint and black gesso (I used the latter only because I didn’t have enough black acrylic and wanted to make it go further).
I sponged them so that there was a bit of texture and to avoid the smears you tend to get with a brush (apparently you can buy black foam core but I couldn’t find it). I also sponged the foam sides of the boards:
Position the quilt on the foam core. This quilt is the July Journal Quilt which I was mounting. If you click on the link you can read about its evolution.
First of all I made two holes in the foam core at each corner using a large needle (well, I think it was something for making rag rugs actually, but it was the best thing I could find for the job). Try and make the top two pairs of holes level so you can put fishing line or something on them for hanging.
I kept the quilt on the board all the time as a guide. I poked the holes roughly first to get the position right and then lifted it up and poked the needle right through.
This is what it looked like when I had finished making the holes.
I then decided which was going to be the top, and cut a piece of fishing line about one and a half times the length of the top.
I pushed this through the top left pair of holes from back to front and then from front to back through the hole next to it, like a button.
I then tied this at the back several times to stop it coming undone and threaded the other end through the next top pair of holes, knotting it well again. Here is what it looks like from the back (note that I don’t bother painting the back!). This will be used to hang the quilt from a nail in the wall.
I then put the quilt back on the front of the foam core, and threaded a piece of matching thread on to a sewing needle, a long enough piece to go all around the perimetre of the quilt (it is not too vital to match it exactly as it will just catch the corners of the back of the quilt and not go right through to the front). Knot it well (I didn’t do this with the first piece and it pulled right out of one corner!). On my first attempt, I used nylon monofilament thread and regretted this choice pretty quickly! Not an easy thread to use…
Catch a few threads at the back of the quilt at one corner near to the holes you have made, and take a few stitches over and over to secure it. Try not to go through to the front.
Put the needle through the left-hand hole and bring it back to the front through the right-hand hole. Then take another stitch into the back of the quilt.
Then take the thread across (between the back of the quilt and the front of the foam core) to the next corner and repeat. Each time you stitch it, position the quilt centrally again and pull the thread fairly taut. It stays in place fairly well, I find, with a bit of flexibility. Go around each of the corners in this way.
Then take it back to the last corner and stitch over and over to finish it off, then cut the thread.
Here it is, finished!
And hanging on the wall:
I decided to hang some of them on the stairway in our house (next to the photo of DH receiving his Superbrain of the Channel Islands trophy when he was 16):
This took a lot of space to describe on here, but it probably only took me about 5 minutes to attach each quilt. You can also put them into box frames mounted on the foam core if you wish.