A few months ago I bought some natural ochres from Clearwell Caves, some old coppermines in the Forest of Dean. I also had some natural dye extracts, so I decided to do some painting with them, using soy milk as a binder. I had fun and just played without thinking too much. And here are the results.
Here they are drying in my workroom. That old clothes horse I found while tidying the boxroom came in useful! (So obviously tidying does have its benefits…
This is the first I did. It’s roughly based on one of my doodles.
Here’s a sort of stylized tree.
I painted this to enhance some rust dyed fabric.
A lot of what I was painted was for textures, to print on or to cut up and use for journals. I thought of printing one of my Gocco house screens on top of this.
This is a sort of brick texture. I printed it using the tip of a sponge brush.
This was overpainted on to some blue fabric.
And this was another ‘texture’ painting. The fabric is quite shiny and it looks quite effective.
Now I have to leave them for a few months to batch, so the colours don’t just wash out. So no guilt about not using them!