I did several types of screen printing last week so I’m going to post pictures on successive days. First is breakdown printing.
This is what I did on the first day with the following screens:
With this one I pressed various textural objects into it – a polystyrene plate which I had marked into a grid pattern with a pen, some corrugated cardboard, some plastic mesh. I laid the objects underneath the screen, squeegeed thickened dye through, removed the plate which had already transferred its texture and left it to dry till the next day, when I removed the remaining objects.
These are the resulting fabrics:
I painted the top left image with some blue dye afterwards. With a couple of them, I also used an acetate footprint shape as a resist or a stamp as I was looking for footprint shapes for my TIF challenge piece (and have certainly got plenty now!).
Here is a detail.
The next screen has bubble wrap and the aforementioned acetate shape pressed into the dye.
This is the fabric which resulted:
The next one has rubber bands stuck into the dye:
And the fabric:
And the last is my big screen on which I pressed wisteria leaves and an acetate sheet cut into the shape of a wisteria branch. I actually traced this from a branch pressed against our bedroom window one morning. (sorry for the blurry photo but it is the only one I have).
This is some of the fabric.
I screened a gocco screen of a letter on to another piece (it is a bit blurry because the previous layer was wet … but I quite like it like that).
Ironically, it was the fabric I showed last week which I like best! This was the dropcloth between the print board and the ‘proper’ fabric and wasn’t treated with soda ash, although some probably came through with the print paste, and to be safe I sprayed it afterwards with some spray soda which I found in the local pharmacy.
Finally for this section, this is a piece which I screened at the end using the acetate leaf shape as a resist (it is overdyed on to some blue fabric).