Spoonflower top!

In September 2013, I won a Spoonflower giveaway: a Wiksten pattern for a top and 3 yards of Spoonflower fabric printed in the design of my choice. Exciting! At that point, I hadn’t had much experience with Spoonflower or putting designs into repeat but I knew I wanted to use my own design on the fabric so it took me a while to take advantage of my win and actually order the fabric. I wanted to get it right so before I ordered the actual yardage I got a few swatches made.

A row of Spoonflower swatches

A row of swatches of my fabric designs – it works out cheaper to put them in collections and order several at once.

The swatches are printed on silky faille which is a 100% polyester fabric and is really drapy and prints the colours very faithfully to the image. I finally decided which designs I wanted to order so I got a yard of the fabric below:

The fabric printed by Spoonflower that I used for my top - I called it 'Fairy Garden'.

The fabric printed by Spoonflower that I used for my top – I called it ‘Fairy Garden’.

and two yards of this one, which was the one I originally thought I would use for the top:

Spoonflower fabric called Watercolour Kaleidoscope

This fabric was based on a painting made wet on wet using inks – I called it Watercolour kaleidoscope.

I received the fabrics last May and since then have been looking at them, stroking them and being afraid to cut into them!! I finally came to the conclusion that Watercolour Kaleidoscope would be a better design for large drapes or cushions and that I would make the top out of Fairy Garden. It was a bit of a tight squeeze to fit the pattern pieces on to one yard of fabric but I think it was the right decision.

The completed top.

The completed top – one of our cats, Ziby, decided he wanted to get in on the act!

Here it is hanging over my printing table.

Close up of neckline

A close up of the neckline

I experimented with which binding to use – the fabric is quite slippery and needed quite a bit of care to stitch properly.  I rejected silk or polyester fabric for the binding and in the end used this red lawn fabric which is made of very fine cotton – this was a lot easier to control than the polyester.  I ended up putting it round the hem as well as the necklines and armholes because it was easier than trying to fold over the curved fabric twice – and it meant that I could make the top that much longer.

The red binding pinned on to the neckline ready to be stitched.

The red binding pinned on to the neckline ready to be stitched.

Another view of the top.

Another view of the top.

It fits really well and I’m pleased with how it looks.  Well worth the wait!  By the way, if you fancy buying some of either of these fabrics, they (and others) are available in my Spoonflower shop.  And now I have started filling it, I intend to continue adding to it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

,

4 Responses to Spoonflower top!

  1. jan norton February 13, 2015 at 8:33 pm #

    Look forward to seeing you wearing said top in the summer, I love the colours.

    • Liz Plummer February 13, 2015 at 9:00 pm #

      Thanks, Jan! Let’s hope we have the weather for it!

  2. Sheila Barnes February 14, 2015 at 4:13 am #

    Such a beautiful design – perfect for that top.

  3. Nevenka December 25, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

    Hi Di, not as much as you! I’ve been reading your blog for a long time and have just wkeord out how to comment. Love your sewing and hearing all about your family. I would love to sew more often but with 3 kids aged 3-9 and working 4 days a week don’t get enough time. Looking forward to our 6 week summer break coming up on dec 14th here in Australia.